FRENCH GARLIC CHICKEN
Chef Tim’s French Garlic Chicken | Learn simple and delicious recipes with Overland Park Convention Center’s Executive Chef, Tim Freeman. From classic to new creations, Chef Tim delivers dynamic, innovative energy to the dining experience at the convention center everyday–now you can give them a try at home.
An award-winning chef with over 25 years of culinary experience from around the world let Chef Tim inspire your tastebuds.
Chef Tim’s French Garlic Chicken recipe ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 chicken (about 3 to 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 3 heads garlic, cloves separated.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh shallots
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Chef Tim’s French Garlic Chicken recipe with creamy sauce
- In a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed cast iron, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Cook the chicken until well browned, turning, about 8 minutes in all, and remove from the pot.
- Reduce the heat to moderate, add the garlic and shallots, and sauté until it is starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes more, slowly browning mushrooms. Sprinkle the flour over the garlic and mushrooms and stir to combine. Add the chicken stock and wine to deglaze. Add the bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken back to the pan and arrange for even cooking. Slowly braise chicken for 25-30 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. It’s best to check the temperature in the thickest part of the meat!
- After confirming the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and leave the sauce. Bring to a simmer and add the butter, cream and herbs, stirring with a whisk. Simmer until sauce thickens to your liking (through evaporation). A good consistency will coat the back of a spoon without running off quickly. Make sure to adjust the salt and pepper before serving.
- To serve, place chicken onto a plate. Top with the sauce and serve with some roasted potatoes, a nice rice pilaf, or grilled vegetables.
WANT MORE SIMPLE RECIPES?
Contact us to let us know what recipes you want Chef Tim to feature.
GET TO KNOW EXECUTIVE CHEF TIM FREEMAN
Chef Freeman has over 25 years of culinary experience from around the world.